“Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe me, the hour is coming when neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father. You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews. But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”  John 4:21-24

This past Friday night we held The Gathering at Lance’s house.  As the name suggests, it was simply a time to gather together in prayer and worship.  It started at 7:00pm and did not end after midnight.  It was an amazing and holy time of worship in which we all encountered the Holy Spirit in a real and powerful way.  It is really hard to describe.   Petitions and prayers over our city and youth for an awakening and a revival were released.  Prophesy over dry bones living again over our community, churches and pastors were also released. We shared together the Lord’s Supper.  All in the context of continual worship and song that for lack of a better explanation just happened.  Some of those who attended questioned and asked later who were those that attended and what and why things took place.  Yet it was one of those things as Lance and I talked afterwards,  where we invited everyone to the gathering, but we only knew 30- 40% or so of those that came.  How the other 60% or so ended up at his house, only God knows.

Jesus said, “… the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”    V.24.  Jesus tells us we must worship in two ways: Spirit and Truth.  

Spirit: We must come into a state of worship where our spirit encounters the Holy Spirit.  All true worship begins and flows from the heart of God where his Spirit makes himself known to us and draws us into worship.  Worship flows out of God's desire to be known by us.  We can’t worship what we do not know. 

We also cannot manufacture worship.  It does not exist out of our will, heritage, or traditions.  The woman at the well claimed her worship based on her descendant’s from Jacob.  Yet John tells us, “But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.” (John 1:12-14).  Worship also is not born out of the will or manipulation of man. Worship is something we receive and enter into through belief and faith.

Truth: “ Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.“ John 14:6.  Jesus declares that he is truth.  In him is found true religion, true expression of the Father, true encounter with the Father, and true worship.  True worship flows out of the Spirit of God and is centered on Jesus.  Note how the woman has been concerned about where people ought to worship, while Jesus is concerned about in what spiritual condition and who people ought to worship. 

 

Reflection:  Jesus said, “..true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” Must worship in spirit and truth.  Must worship in the Holy Spirit and Jesus.  What do you worship in?  Have you ever simply yet powerfully experienced worship and prayer in the Spirit and in truth?  What are your reflections of those time(s)?  Worship and/or prayer times you could not explain or control?  Please share your reflections with us below.

 

1 Comment